Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Famous Original Ray's: "The guy that owns those dogs Scott and Carrie Anne are looking at was a total dickhead."

I wish I could've taken a better picture of this place, but the totally rad and ancient pizza sign was obscured by a tree. Such is life, I guess. We can all wait silently for the barrenness of winter when foliage will no longer block our view of actually cool shit. It's like Good Kid Paulie said when asked by some woodland crustie why he hates nature: "Trees? Fuck trees! They get in the way when I'm looking at buildings."


Famous Original Ray's
. This FOR location is neither the original Famous Ray's, nor the most famous Original Ray's, but is in fact one of many Famous Original Ray's of which there are quite a few. One time in high school I went to Long Island to have a sleepover at my friend DJ's house and we went to this weird place called Deja One to see a show. (I wanna say Kill Your Idols and Boysetsfire. I know it's horrid, but that's Long Island, for you.) Deja One was so weird because it was like, a Bar Mitzvah hall or something. Everything was carpeted except for this little wooden dance floor and there were those little round tables and a chandelier on the ceiling. Strange scene. This particular Famous Original Ray's (which I think may be the furthest-Uptown of all the Famous Original Ray'ses), is something like the Deja One of Pizzerias, which is in turn the Copacabana of Hardcore Venues. I wish they had done actual all ages matinees at the Copa. Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure I went to a Bat Mitzvah party there. Blah blah blah blah blah.


This slice cost $2.56 which is very unsatisfying. It looks decent, but this slice is actually not very good. The dough was not cooked through, which led to a tangible layer of weird paste underneath the cheese, and the cooked part was deceptively doughy feeling. The sauce was good, but there was way too much of it. The cheese, however, was top notch and the crust was totally decent.

This slice is totally passable and I didn't mind eating it or anything, but it wasn't especially good. I think in my ideal New York City, this kind of slice would be the absolute bottom of the barrel. In other words, every slice of pizza should be AT LEAST this good. However, we live in a world where the possibility of Reverend Billy being our mayor is more than far-fetched, most cops act like assholes on a consistent basis, and a majority of the pizza in this town totally blows. Such is life, I guess.

Famous Original Ray's
460 Amsterdam Ave
New York, NY 10024

----------

As mentioned in the previous post, there is now a donation button. Right after I put it up, I took it down, but now it's back again. Like I said then, if you are enjoying Slice Harvester, please consider donating the cost of a slice of pizza (or more if you want!) every now and again to help me subsidize this incredibly Sisyphusian project.

1 comment:

  1. Haha, there were so many ska punk shows at Deja One back in the day! If Ray's starts hosting ska punk shows my head will explode.

    ReplyDelete